Monday, August 5, 2013

Staying at home

Since the school years are being kicked off I can't help but have mixed emotions. I miss my coworkers and sweet kiddos a lot! On the other hand, I am so very thankful I am home with Hayden! The education system has gotten so difficult for teachers to teach! I don't miss all that red tape at all! I have loved being a stay at home mommy. I work harder now than I did teaching hands down. I'm the type that loves doing the 60's version of a house wife. I like raising children and keeping the house (okay except laundry I hate laundry and it never ends). I totally understand this isn't for everyone. So many of my friends have said they need their adult time at work. Which I can relate to. Staying at home you pretty much come in last place for "you" time now! I haven't had more that 20 minutes of me time in a while. That part is hard for sure. I can't lie and say everyday is peaches and cream here either. Trust me there are days I'm standing at the door ready to hand off everything to Jeffrey for an hour before I lose it. I just feel this is the best way I can contribute to our family. And I wouldn't Change this time with Hayden for anything. I am so thankful Jeffrey works hard enough that I can stay home. I am thankful for all the supporters and orders we've gotten from Southern Frayed. And my parents have been life savers! Those days where I'm about to lose it they come to the rescue!

So I thought I'd offer what we've done to allow me to stay home. Of course you look at the one income and write out all expenses. We looked at bills first. Then we took whatever was left over and made envelopes for things like southern frayed, groceries, medical etc. the cash was divided up into these ( we have 11) envelopes for expenses. We pay cash for these things. When the envelope is empty it's gone. Now we have eliminated cable and any extra we could. No new clothes, no fun stuff, no out to eat. I plan our groceries for the month. I cook everyday for supper but Wednesday and Sunday. We eat left overs those days. We eat three meals a day at home. You'd be shocked at how much money you can save doing a meal plan and going to the store once a month. We do run and get bread and milk more than once, but other than that I do not step foot back into the store. Try it! I do look for coupons for what's on my list. I'm not a crazy couponer, but discounts help for what you're buying why not look? 
Now, if there's any extra made (southern frayed for us) that goes into fun. Obviously now we have a huge vet bill we are tackling, but in the future that's where it goes. This works for us. It is hard, but it does work. 
I'm perfectly happy not having a cute outfit for a football game so I can stay home with Hayden. Sure its nice , and if you have the money a fun outfit occasionally is a great treat! I've really seen how superficial and "stuff" oriented I was and society is. Who cares if someone has on a Tshirt? Maybe it's all they can afford! Stop and think about any judgements you've made against someone due to appearance. It's really sad when I hear people making fun of others due to appearances. I'm guilty of doing it. I've really tried to change this about myself. Especially now with the humbling experience of being frugal. Challenge yourself to stop judging others based on what they are wearing. You have no idea what they are going through! 

So overall this has been the best decision for us. I'm loving being home with Hayden. All my fellow teachers, praying for a positive school year for y'all! Happy Monday folks!

No comments:

Post a Comment