If anything this month, slow down. Take away a few stresses. This will get your heart and mind back to where it needs to be. You are only one person. Enjoy your family God gave you. Enjoy helping someone. Enjoy Christmas morning seeing smiles and excitement. During the excitement, don't forget to keep yourself and family humble. Don't forget the real reason for the season. MERRY CHRISTMAS Y'ALL !
Thursday, December 5, 2013
Christmas- what has this become?
I know it has been a while since my last post ( if anyone even reads). Life has been hectic. Holiday season is smack dab in the midst of us right now. For most, that means more hectic than normal. It means long lines, crowded stores, rude impatient people, horns honking, stresses over gifts for everyone, cooking , decorating, wondering how you will get it all done?!? If you think of the Holiday season like this STOP. Just stop. You have sucked all the joy and missed the REAL meaning of Christmas. We decided a while back to only do gifts for the kids in the family. That was a huge relief for me. We have the tradition of pizza and pajamas for Christmas Eve . Another check off the stress list of making a huge meal. We will spend more time as a family talking about Christmas, enjoying lights, and mainly each other. Yes I decorate for Christmas. It's not really that much honestly. We package it back up so it's easy to pull out and hang right back up. I find the decorations bring joy to my family so we do it. Though, decorating isn't even something you have to do! Some can argue it takes away from the true meaning. I can see this point from their side. We feel it's a bonding time for our family. We do not stress about it. The day it becomes no fun, we will stop. Cut your stresses down this holiday season. Focus on the true meaning, family, and helping others. I'm hope this doesn't offend anyone, and I'm not shaming my country. I'm VERY proud and thankful to be an American, but do we, here in America, get so twisted in the fast pace life of the season that we forget to talk about Jesus. You may not, but I DO. It's not right. We are so focused on gifts, decorations, parties etc. that we forget... We forget how blessed we are. We forget that we don't NEED a new outfit. We forget that all of the parties and gift exchanges are taking over our hearts and thoughts. Those things have entitled us. Americans are an entitled society. Have you ever lost your cool because your order was wrong? How about handling it with a calm heart and being thankful for someone serving you. We forget in our society. I forget. I was talking to a lady today that is American, but lives in another country doing mission work with her family. They have come back to America for several weeks to enjoy family and Christmas. She confessed in the short time they have been here, her children have changed. They have gained some of that entitlement our society has. She began to cry as she said this. It broke her heart to see how quickly God can get away from us. REAL EYE OPENER for me. It's true. We should be focusing on the true meaning, our blessings, and helping others. I sit here a total hypocrite as my child has a mess of toys and gifts waiting on him for Christmas morning. Sure we donated a ton of toys to others but, what am I teaching him? Greediness? I'm feeding that ME NOW part of our society to my child. I gave in. I'm not saying not to have fun and enjoy a few gifts, but who needs 10 new toys when you have a room full? What about the child that has no home or clothes that fit? What about the baby going to bed cold and hungry? And as a society we are focused on the wrong things. I know we can't save the world, but we can focus our mind on what the season is about. We can stop over indulging and start talking about the birth of Christ. As a parent, I have to teach my child to love, help others, and have a giving heart. As adults, we have to remind ourselves, daily, of this. The ugliness of our fast paced, greedy society has taken ahold of our hearts. Well maybe not yours, but it has mine. I'm changing this for my family. I'm thankful for this realization of my faults. Will you join me and focus on what Christmas means? Will you focus on this with me the entire month, not just for one day? I'd love to hear how your family does this! We welcome any new ideas to keep greediness from taking over our hearts!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment